At 06:53 PM 3/18/2007, you wrote:

What is a better alternative to butter? thanks debbie

    I never knew butter needed an alternative.   What is wrong with butter?

Nature never made a bad fat, only man makes bad fats.

I eat all the butter I want, which is not a ton per year of course.

We have to realize that our grand parents ate butter the year round. How much? All they wanted I feel sure.

All the butter I see today is "sweet cream butter". I would pay $ 10.00 per pound for some
"Sour Cream Butter" the way I used to make it in the 50's.

There is no comparison of the two. The sweet cream butter does not even taste like butter to me.

If you think it is bad, don't eat butter or the alternative, whatever that is. <grin>

The real question is ............ are you eating enough FAT, period. Balance the Omega 3 and Omega 6 and eat all the fat you want. Nutritionist figured 100 years ago it is better for us than most carbs/

Plus, it is a great energy source and long lasting. The heart needs fats for energy as does the rest of the body.

The very, very old ratio for foods was 40 % fat, 40 % protein and 20 % carbs which I still believe after many years, 50 or so at least.

I think most people don't eat enough butter for it to even be a concern. I know I don't, about 1/2 pound every 6 months, if that much. Still, I eat all I want when I want it.

I cook redfish and talipia in butter and sear the slivered almonds also.
Also use a touch when making french toast. One loaf of bread last about 4 months and I throw half of it away.

I may have one or two lousy eating habits but bread and butter are not two of them.

Wayne