Dee said,
> Just one question Terry, I had thought that veggies
produce an alkaline environment and meat, dairy etc.,
produced an acidic environment. Is this wrong? <

According to Dr. Carey Reams, who developed the
biochemical testing procedure I use in my practise, it
is not food that determines urine/saliva pH, but the
state of the calciums in the body. The reason for this
is because Dr. Reams was not actually concerned about
pH, but about a cationic/anionic balance. Most of the
time, anionic corresponds to alkaline and cationic to
acid, so measuring pH gave a pretty much accurate
assessment.

The concept that he taught was that most all foods are
either cationic or a mixture of cationic and anionic.
In a healthy body, the digestive enzymes are pure
anionic. The interaction of cationic/mostly cationic
foods with anionic enzymes is somewhat like the
interaction of vinegar and baking soda - there is a
release of energy. If you were to pour a cup of baking
soda into an equal amount of vinegar, you would get a
significant release of energy. But if you were to pour
a teaspoon of baking soda into a cup of vinegar, there
would not be much of an energy release because of the
unequal ratio. So when I test someone and find them to
have an acidic pH, it is like too much vinegar, or, a
deficiency of baking soda.

Of course, I am not concerned with vinegar and baking
soda, but with alkaline vs acidic calcium. A person
who tests overly acidic is actually deficient in
alkaline calcium, not alkaline foods. When the body
has a healthy ratio of all kinds of calciums, it is
best able to digest food and assimilate minerals. If
the pH (anionic/cationic ratio) is unbalanced in
either direction, you can eat the best foods and take
the best supplements in the world and you will not
benefit from them. To the degree that a person has
unbalanced biochemistry, to that degree does
digestion/assimilation suffer. The energy that is
released by this anionic/cationic interaction is not
the kind of energy you feel, but metabolic/molecular
energy that the body uses for operation/maintenance.

I have watched folks with severely acidic pH (4.0 or
less) waste away and die even though eating and
supplementing like health fanatics. Fortunately, most
folks still have the capacity to benefit from healthy
food/supplementation.

A word on Vit D overdose: When I was in the US, when
clients showed very acidic pH (below 5.0), I would
have them take 50,000-100,000 I.U.s of Vit D/day, with
no overdose problems whatsoever. A person with that
acidic pH is extremely, almost dangerously deficient
in Vit D. On the other hand, someone with 7.5-8.0+ pH
I would advise to absolutely avoid Vit D for fear of
overdose.
Vit D has an alkalinizing effect of the body. If they
were already overly alkaline, they would not be able
to assimilate Vit D, and it would act like an
overdose.

Folks with overly alkaline pH should take calcium
lactate, and acidifying calcium. Eating a lot of
yogurt would accomplish the same thing, since calcium
lactate is derived from soured (not spoiled) milk
products. The calcium gluconate found in milk is
converted to calcium lactate by the fermentation
process.

Terry Chamberlin