I really like Shane's observation below that people just don't think Singularity is coming for a very long time. The beginning affects are already here. Related to this, I've got a few additional thoughts to share.

We're not looking into singularity yet, but the convergence has already started. Consider that the molecular economy has the potential to bring total social upheaval in its own right, without singularity. For example, what happens when an automobile is weighs around 400 pounds and is powered by a battery that never needs charging. What happens to the oil industry? What happens to politics because of what happens to the oil industry? How will a space elevator by 2012 change the balance of power? Nanoweapons? World War III? China/India industrialization and resulting pollution? As announced recently what happens when the world warms to its hottest level in a million years? When biodiversity reduction goes critical and plankton die and oxygen fails?

I'm sure you know about most of these things and how quickly they are moving, but my point is, trouble isn't coming...it's here. Not only should we be thinking about these things now, but I think it is our social responsibility. That is, if we want children to grow up and inhabit this world with any level of normalcy...or at all.

Any number of things could bring our glorious house crashing down in a matter of days or months. When the Soviet economy crashed, nuclear physicists were standing in the soup line over night. The same could easily be seen of us in a global economic crash. Our scholarly/industrial existence is really very fragile. It doesn't take much for our hierarchy of needs to return to survival.

Our human track record of late in terms of creating advance is really quite good, but in terms of dealing with the social impacts of that advance is really very, very poor and immature. All of our wonderful creations are already making quite a big global mess. So who's to say that our continued focus on modernist, profit-centric values will result in any thing less than more and more advance alongside escalating social issues?

In my mind, singularity is no different. I pesonally see it providing just another tool in the hand of mankind, only one of greater power. And this power holds the potential to fulfill human values and human intention, which is the piece we really aren't managing well. Bad intentions and bad values, combined with a bigger tool, equals bigger trouble.

Given our human track record and factors already outside of our control, we have a far better chance of destroying what we have now (the rest of the way) than we have of realizing singularity. Not that we shouldn't continue to seek singularity, but we need a hard look at the values and intentions than we're basing these efforts on.

See the Second Enlightenment Conference: http://www.2enlightenment.com Elizabet Sahtouris will be keynote (http://www.ratical.org/LifeWeb/)

Kind Regards,

Bruce LaDuke
Managing Director