Samantha,

Considering the state of the world today I don't see how changes
sufficient to be really helpful can be anything but disruptive of the
status quo.   Being non-disruptive per se is a non-goal.

Ah, that's what it seems like!  But I think we'd be surprised at the
good a superintelligence could do without being overtly disruptive.

There is a fundamental truth about superintelligence: it can think of
all the obvious solutions we missed.  It can blow our minds with
simplicity and elegance.  I'm not saying that a superintelligence
would be omnipotent, but it would be capable of a hell of a lot more
than you think.

By the way Samantha, I know you're quite skilled at deconstructing
many an argument, but do you have any positive suggestions for how a
Friendly AI might be implemented?  Point me to the relevant part of
the archive, if you'd like.

>   A Friendly AI could introduce
> technologies with feature sets that bring out the cooperative aspect
> of humanity rather than our warlike aspect.  This might be both what a
> normatively altruistic AI and a collective volition AI would do.

We can make up whatever we want and claim that because we made it up
it is possible.  But is this actually productive?

Bringing out the cooperative aspect of humanity rather than our
warlike aspect?  That's hardly far-fetched.  You must be incredibly
cynical if you think it's impossible, as it's already been done many
times in the past.  The Internet would be one example.

Sometimes, Samantha, it seems like you have little faith in any
possible form of intelligence, and that the only way for one to be
safe/happy is to be isolated from everything.  I sometimes get this
impression from libertarians (not to say that I'm anti-libertarian).
Sure, I grant that humans can be conniving, jealous, coercive, and
competitive, but does that mean that every single point in the
gigantic space of all possible minds must be as well?

> In that case you would have all these significant events without
> accompanying sociological upheaval.  You could even go back to a
> society superficially similar to the Middle Ages (or, say, steampunk
> novels), except you are perpetually youthful and can fabricate tools
> out of thin air.  For more on this:

No thanks.

Well jeez, I'm just tossing out an idea.  What's the future you would
want, if you had the choice?  The point is that everyone should be
happy.

--
Michael Anissimov
Lifeboat Foundation      http://lifeboat.com