Hi,

Do most in the filed believe that only a war can advance technology to
the point of singularity-level events?
Any opinions would be helpful.

My view is that for technologies involving large investment in
manufacturing infrastructure, the US military is one very likely
source of funds.  But not the only one.  For instance, suppose that
computer manufacturers decide they need powerful nanotech in order to
build better and better processors: that would be a convincing
nonmilitary source for massive nanotech R&D funds.

OTOH for technologies like AGI where the main need is innovation
rather than expensive infrastructure, I think a key role for the
military is less likely.  I would expect the US military to be among
the leaders in robotics, because robotics is
costly-infrastructure-centric.  But not necessarily in robot
*cognition* (as opposed to hardware) because cognition R&D is more
innovation-centric.

Not that I'm saying the US military is incapable of innovation, just
that it seems to be more reliable as a source of development $$ for
technologies not yet mature enough to attract commercial investment,
than as a source for innovative ideas.

-- Ben