--- Joshua Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> AGI builders, what evidence do you have that your design will work?

None, because we have not defined what AGI is.

One definition of AGI is passing the Turing test.  That will not happen.  A
machine can just as easily fail by being too smart, too fast, or too obedient,
as it can by being not smart enough.  Machines have been smarter than humans
in some areas and less smart in others for the last 50 years.  Even a machine
that is superior to human intellect in every conceivable way would not be
mistaken for human.  There is no economic incentive to dumb down a machine
just to duplicate human limitations.

If AGI is not the Turing test, then what is it?  What test do you propose?

Without a definition, we should stop calling it AGI and focus on the problems
for which machines are still inferior to humans, such as language or vision.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]