On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:21:45PM -0700, Tom McCabe wrote:

> Hmmm, this is true. However, if these techniques were
> powerful enough to design new, useful AI algorithms,
> why is writing algorithms almost universally done by
> programmers instead of supercomputers, despite the
> fact that programmers only work twelve hours a day and
> have to get paid?

A supercomputer has a price tag of several M$ and has
a yearly burn rate in the same ballpark. These days,
you can hire many experts for that budget.

Secondly, if #1 at TOP 500 is about a realtime mouse
equivalent (no, I don't want to hear any "but they're
doing it wrong" blahblah), how much would you pay a
rodent?

Thirdly, there are bootstrap issues. You need to spend
a lot of brute-force evolution, until you evolve enough
to be able to evolve.

Fourthly, if you can't think of a thing to do with a lot
of computational resources for AI, don't assume the
rest of us can't.