--- Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It's true we can do theoretical work but the lack of
> > computing power is
> > definitely an obstacle.
>
> What? That's the exact opposite of what I said! Why is
> computing power an obstacle? We're not even near the
> stage where you put the program into the computer,
> because there *is no program*! Suppose you had a
> computer with 10^50 FLOPS. What would you run on this
> computer?

Protein folding, weather forecasting, cryptanalysis, predicting chemical
properties from Schrödinger's equations.  Personally, I would experiment with
neural language models that I can't currently implement because I lack the
computing power.

You can't deny that the availability of computing power has always shaped the
direction of AI research.  What approaches are there now that don't push the
limits of the hardware?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]