Tom,

As I make clear in my paper, having a high algorithmic complexity
does NOT mean that an algorithm is intelligent.  As you point out,
a large algorithm full of random junk that does nothing has high
algorithmic complexity and clearly is not intelligent.

What I say is the reverse, that if an algorithm is very "intelligent"
(actually what I say is that it is a very powerful predictor in a sense
that I precisely define in my paper, read it there if you want the
details) then the algorithm must have a high algorithmic complexity.

When Matt says that I use algorithmic complexity to define
intelligence, he means that I have used algorithmic complexity in
my definition, not that I have simply equated the two... which clearly
is not enough as your example illustrates.

Does this help clear things up?

Cheers
Shane