At 01:45 PM 6/4/2007, John wrote:

I'm going to take a dim/skeptical view of the true potency of advanced AI here.

If a hypothetical advanced AI comes up with, say, a design for a working, practical, economical, enviromentally friendly power source, will it really get anywhere? Or if it says one day that the "War on Drugs" in the US ought to be abandoned, and drugs decriminalized, and presents a clear and well-reasoned case, will that idea go anywhere?

It is quite difficult to conjecture about AI by using old world scenarios. If an AI or AGI designs the architecture for producing a world in which "works" (to use an art term); then of course STEEP+ areas will change. Again, it is not plausible to think about the future on a single track. It is like putting a child in a dark room with no sense awareness and tell it to envision the future.

We already have intelligent *human beings* whose well-reasoned ideas get no traction in society at large. What makes you think that an AI is going to fare any better?

Intelligence cannot go anywhere while sequestered in a unintelligent system.

On the other hand, if the AI is put to work on politically neutral tasks like solving grand-challenge math problems or formulating cheaper allergy pills then I guess that fits into a safe enough box.

Sure. This is a task.

If the AI isn't plugged into politics I don't see it making any change to human civilization regardless of how smart it might be.

Politics is simply a politically correct way of saying "I'm okay, you're not." Without preconceived notions of what is right and without emotional attachment to authority and power. If politics is "social relations involving authority or power" than it is one power over another. Politics would have to change its meaning and directive.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, <http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Planetary <http://www.planetary-collegium.net/about/>Collegium
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller