On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 05:53:10AM -0700, Michael Anissimov wrote:

> If an AI can come up with better ideas for improving our lives than we
> can, then wouldn't it make sense to pay attention to it?  Why should

You've been sounding like a broken record for a while. It's because
speed kills. What or who is doing the killing is not important.

> our leaders be of mere human-level intelligence if they can be much
> smarter?  If people democratically choose for superintelligences to be

Dude, I-current wouldn't trust me a picometer if I was much, much
smarter. Neither should you.

> their leaders (whether IAed humans or AI), as I think they inevitably
> will, then wouldn't that be reasonable?
>
> Our xenophobia and human chauvinism about machines will evaporate
> when/if a true friendly AGI is built and starts to accomplish good
> deeds in the world.

Or we ourselves will evaporate, together with a few cm of Earth regolith.
Sorry, I'd rather not take the chances.

> Matt and John, I think an AI will get traction by doing, not just by

Now you're talking!

> talking.  A friendly AGI will, say, invent a cure for cancer, or hand
> us the design for a working fusion reactor, or something else we can't

Or a superhuman agent decides to do something, and you just happen
to catch a lungful of fifth-degree side effects, chuckly weakly, and die.

> even imagine.  Accomplishing these good deeds will give it tremendous
> social capital.  If such an AI is charismatic as well, then the public
> will practically beg it to take greater responsibility.

I'm sorry, I'm not religious. Try the next door down the hall.

> Why the human chauvinism, guys?  You've never met an intelligent
> machine, so why are you judging them?

Why the animal chauvinism, sheep? You've never met an intelligent human,
so why are you judging them? Oh, wait...