Captain Kirk willingly steps into the transporter to have his atoms turned
into energy because he knows an identical copy will be reassembled on the
surface of the planet below.  Would he be so willing if the original was
left
behind?

I doubt that this was the intention of Jean Roddenberry's interpretation of
teleporting.

On 6/25/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Jey Kottalam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > You can only transfer
> > consciousness if you kill the original.
>
> What is the justification for this claim?

There is none, which is what I was trying to argue.  Consciousness does
not
actually exist.  What exists is a universal belief in consciousness.  The
belief exists because those who did not have it did not pass on their DNA.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;