--- Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 11:53:09PM -0700, Tom McCabe
> wrote:
>
> > Not so much "anesthetic" as "liquid helium", I
> think,
>
> How about 20-30 sec of stopped blood flow. Instant
> flat EEG. Or, hypothermia. Or, anaesthesia (barbies
> are nice)

This is human life, remember, so we had better be darn
sure that all neuronal activity whatsoever has
stopped.

> > to be quadruply sure that all brain activity has
> > stopped and the physical self and virtual self
> don't
> > diverge. People do have brain activity even while
> > unconscious.
>
> But not relevant activity. If you don't know it's
> there it's not relevant.

Why? There are umpteen bazillion cases of people going
to sleep with some hard problem and waking up with a
solution, which is obviously a substantial change in
brain-state.

 - Tom

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;