--- Eugen Leitl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:24:17AM +1000, Stathis
> Papaioannou wrote:
>
> > Nuclear weapons need a lot of capital and
> resources to construct,
>
> They also need knowledge, which is still largely
> secret.

Knowledge of *what*? How to build a crude gun to fire
one block of cast metal into another block of cast
metal?

> The
> number of people who could construct a crude working
> nuclear weapon
> is below 1% (possibly, way below 1%), and an
> advanced fusion weapon
> in ppm range.

So? The number of people who could construct a working
radio if you sat them down at a table and gave them a
pile of spare parts is very small. This does not mean
that it requires some kind of special expertise to
Google up some basic electronics knowledge and order a
soldering gun, circuit board and other necessary
tools.

> > which is why they can be semi-regulated, at least
> for individuals. AI
> > may initially require supercomputers to run, but
> once   home computers
>
> We still need some 20 years to come into that range.

Does anyone know how much computing power you need to
run AGI? Of course not, nobody has ever built or even
described a coherent, complete blueprint for building
AGI.

> > catch up to these supercomputers, stopping it
> would be like trying to
>
> Add another couple decades.

You know, there is this thing called the "Internet",
which any script kiddie can exploit to get additional
computing power.

> > stop file sharing and software piracy.
>
> Everyone knows how to wripte a P2P application.

Do you know how to write a P2P application? Do you
even know how to program? I do know how to program,
but I have no idea how to write a P2P application; I'd
have to figure it out as I go.

> Nobody knows how to
> build an AI. If it's a large-scale effort the
> knowledge can be controlled
> for a long time.

How exactly is anyone going to *get* the knowledge in
the first place? Physicists had to actively lobby the
government to start the Manhattan Project, which had
immediate military applications and had *the physics
already tested in the lab*. A nuclear physics reaction
is scalable; you can do the reaction with one particle
before you try it out on a whole mass of them. An AGI
is not scalable; you cannot get anything interesting
to show up until you already have a mostly-functioning
full-scale system.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;