On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 12:45:20AM -0700, Tom McCabe wrote:

> Do you have any actual evidence for this? History has
> shown that numbers made up on the spot with no
> experimental verification whatsoever don't work well.

You need 10^17 bits and 10^23 ops to more or less accurately
represent and track what the human brain does.

We don't know whether above number is too low (it is probably high,
and maybe even ridiculously high) but lacking other means of
validation (with the exception of the retina) it's as good an
estimate as any.

Notice that you may need way more than that to bootstrap an
intelligence by evolutionary means.