candice schuster wrote:
Richard,
Thank you for a thought provoking response. I admire your ability to think with both logic and reason. I think what Searle was trying to get at was this...and I have read 'The Chinese Room Theory'...I think that what he was trying to say was...if the human brain breaks down code like a machine does, that does not make it understand the logic of the code, it is afterall code. If you go back to basics, for example binary code, it becomes almost sequence and you are (well some of us are, like machines) able to understand how to put the puzzle together again but we may not understand the logic behind that code, ie: The Chinese Language as a whole. Although for instance the AI has the ability to decifer the code and respond, it does not understand the whole, which is funny in a way as you call your cause 'Singularity'...which to me implies 'wholeness' for some reason. Regarding your comment on....shock, horror, they made an AI that has human cognitive thought processes, quite the contrary Richard, if you and the rest of the AI community come up with the goods I would be most intrigued to sit your AI down in front of me and ask it.......'Do you understand the code 'SMILE' ?'

A general point about your reply.

I think some people have a mental picture of what a computer does when it is running an AI program, in which the computer does an extremely simple bit of symbol manipulation, and the very "simplicity" of what is happening in their imagined computer is what makes them think: this machine is not really understanding anything at all.

So for example, if the computer is set up SMILE subroutine that just pulled a few muscles around, and this SMILE subroutine was triggered, say, when the audio detectors picked up the sound of someone laughing, then this piece of code would not be understanding or feeling a smile.

I agree: it would not. Most other AI researchers would agree that such a simple piece of code is not a system that "understands" anything. (Not all would agree, but let's skirt that for the moment).

But this where a simple mental image of what goes in a computer can be a very misleading thing. If you thought that all AI programs were just the same as this, then you might think that it is just as easy to dismiss all AI programs with the same "This is not really understanding" verdict.

If Searle had only said that he objected to simple programs being described as "conscious" or "self aware" then all power to him.

So what happens in a real AI program that actually has all the machinery to be intelligent? ALL of the machinery, mark you.

Well, it is vastly more complex: a huge amount of processing happens, and the "smile" response comes out for the right reasons.

Why is that more than just a SMILE subroutine being triggered by the audio detectors measuring the sound of laughter?

Because this AI system is doing some very special things along with all the smiling: it is thinking about its own thoughts, among other things, and what we know (believe) is that when the system gets that complicated and has that particular mix of self-reflection in it, the net result is something that must talk about having an inner world of experience. It will talk about qualia, it will talk about feelings .... and not because it has been programmed to do that, but because when it tries to understand the world it really does genuinely find those things.

This is the step I mentioned in the last message I sent, and it is very very subtle: when you try to think about what is going on in the AI, you come to the inevitable conclusion that we are also "AI" systems, but the truth is that all AI systems (natural and artifical) possess some special properties: they have this thing that you describe as subjective consciousness.

This is difficult to talk about in such a short space, but the crude summary is that if you make an AI extremely complex (with self-reflection, and with no direct connections between things like a smile and the causes of that smile) then that very complexity gives rise to something that was not there before: consciousness.

Richard Loosemore