Pardon me for butting in and apologies if I've missed some crucial point or
complex idea but having dug up a synopsis of John Searles argument:

"A man is in a room with a book of rules. Chinese sentences are passed under
the door to him. The man looks up in his book of rules how to process the
sentences. Eventually the rules tell him to copy some Chinese characters onto
paper and pass the resulting Chinese sentences as a reply to the message he has
received. The dialog continues."

"To follow these rules the man need not understand Chinese."

"Searle concludes from this that a computer program carrying out the rules
doesn't understand Chinese either, and therefore no computer program can
understand anything. He goes on to argue about biology being necessary for
understanding."

(http://kairosnews.org/john-searles-chinese-room-argument)

It seems to me that Mr. Searles is suggesting that because some people
(intelligences) are cooks, i.e. work from a set of rules they don't understand,
this somehow proves that chemists, i.e. people who *do* understand the set of
rules, don't, or can't, exist. If the guy with the book of rules in his lap
doesn't have to understand Chinese to do the translations, does the guy who
wrote the book of rules have to under Chinese in order to write it?

Allen