On Feb 5, 2008 9:36 PM, Joshua Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The new Terminator series brings up again the concept of  mass-market
> Singularity fiction.
>
> The folly of argument from fiction has been discussed enough.
>
> I want to raise another question: What is the relevance, if any, of
> Singularity fiction?
>
> Speculative fiction has often influenced the real world. Walden 2, Old-New
> Land, Utopia, 1984, Brave New World, etc. changed people's political
> outlook.  Science fiction inspired  many people to become engineers and
> scientists,  including some who accomplished great things.
>
> What is the real-world role of Singularity fiction?  Should we differentiate
> between fiction which reaches the narrow intellectual/geek audience and that
> which spreads to a mass audience?

When Singularity fiction reaches the intellectual/geek audience, it
can have positive effects of inspiring them to work on useful things.
(Or dangerous things, like AGI projects of an irresponsible kind.)

When Singularity fiction reaches other audiences, it either has no
significant effect on them, or has a negative effect of scaring them
and possibly inspiring new Unabombers etc.

> Should we use fiction as a platform for getting  attention by contrasting it
> to a more insightful  analysis (as in the SIAI I Robot campaign) ? Or can we
> hold up specific works of fiction, with all their  limitations, as
> inspiration for working to attain a better future or head off threats?

It can be useful to recommend some works of speculative fiction to
intellectuals/geeks who are in the process of forming their position
on Singularity issues.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei