On 17/02/2008, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stathis: Sure, you can't interact with the raindrop computation, but that
> doesn't mean it isn't conscious
>
> Perhaps this conversation helps define something of consciousness - i.e. to
> be conscious, you have to be able to form and HOLD a
> representation/impression of the world around you, which could be just the
> simplest direct sense impression, as in simple one-celled organisms - and
> might not involve any REFLECTION (the power to recall images/sensory
> impressions later). But you have to be able to hold representations - KEEP
> LOOKING at something - IF you are seek goals, and get to that food. The
> bacteria have to keep zeroed in on that food they're "flagellating" towards.
>
> Now that's what inanimate objects can't do - including raindrops. They may
> have continuously fleeting impressions of the world around, but those
> impressions do keep fleeting. Inanimate objects can't hold on to them.
> (Perhaps - though I can't give any reasonable explanation for this - they
> evolved in part in order to retain impressions).

It's true that living things and intelligent things have to interact
with their environment, but why can't this be a closed system
implementing a virtual environment? A computer running an inputless
simulation does not interact at the level of the simulation with the
outside world.

--
Stathis Papaioannou