You'll find that even when it says it supports this codec and that version
of sip, there's a certain amount of testing needed to confirm t actually
DOES interact with the proxy the way it is supposed to.

Snom, cisco, polycom all certain quirks. Also, there's a certain amount of
problems if the phones all have to be manually configured.

Having been through 4 or 5 phone manufacturers already, I can happily say
that sometimes mainstream (polycom, etc.) that have direct config support in
sipx is pretty helpful.

When you have a large number of admins supporting the same model, its also
easy to get help.

That being said, if the phone configures and works well, its entirely
helpful to let others know and make an effort to get a plugin written too.

Let us know how it goes.