I think you miss his point. Dialing from the "missed calls" on the handset
shows the +1 (and 10 digits) on the display. The outbound call fails because
+1 is ALSO being added  at the gateway. Not all carriers do this, not all
phones display the +1 properly either.

His question is a simple one, and in this case has a simple answer, but not
everyone encounters it.

In his case, a dial plan rule to see "+1" and <10digits> needs to strip the
<+1> and send the matching suffix to the gateway, which will add it back,
but not DUPLICATE it showing "+1+1<10digits>".

I sent him a link to a document I drafted some time ago, and explains it
simply. This is the approach he needs to implement. No changes on handset
dialing plans or gateways is needed. It's a standard way we implement things
when a carrier is used that sends the "+1" if we don't use an SBC that can
strip this.

At the same time, the document shows a streamlines dial plan entry when
using a carrier who sends the "+1" character to allow 7 digit local dialing,
etc.

"This_always_works."

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Gerald Harper <ger...@sustaa.com> wrote:

>  Have you tired creating a 1+XXX the XXX being local area codes and have
> the resulting call drop the 1? Then if a person dials 1 or not for a local
> call it would go through.
>
> ie: for greater Vancouver:
>
> Prefix = 1604 and 7 digits
> Resulting call = dial 604 and append matched suffix
> Prefix = 1778 and 7 digits
> Resulting call = dial 778 and append matched suffix
>
> The when your gateway inserts the one again, all is good!

Why do mathematicians always confuse Halloween and Christmas?
Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.