In my example, the prefix (if needed) is being added "at' the gateway. It
was being stripped from the phone, because "calling it back' may not need
the prefix depending on your provider or gateway. So no matter what gateway
is being used the "same" 10 digits are being sent, each gateway adds what it
needs to add. I think this is simpler and doesn't affect survivability. One
provider sends "+1" in, you miss the call and dial it back from the missed
calls on your VVX which sends it to the proxy. Proxy sees the "+1" on the
outgoing call, strips it then sends it to "whatever" gateway matches that
rule. The gateway (PRI) might only add "1" while a siptrunk might add none,
"1" or "+1". Can't be simpler.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Nathaniel Watkins <
nwatk...@garrettcounty.org> wrote:

> If the gateway is expecting a prefix to be already stripped (via sipx) -
> and sipx is unreachable.  Wouldn't the prefix then be sent to the gateway
> (i.e. I dial 9,xxx-xxx-xxxx) - which it wouldn't be able to make an outbound
> call?
>
> Or, as usual, am I missing something?

Why do mathematicians always confuse Halloween and Christmas?
Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.