From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of m...@grounded.net
[m...@grounded.net]

I didn't even think and didn't even remember that. My first thought was to ask
if this was something others had seen first.
That's it, nothing mysterious about it.

>?If you wish to not spin your wheels, do the *one thing* that might help
>?diagnose your problem. ?Asking on the list "Has anyone seen a malfunction
>?that looks like this before?" is *not* a useful diagnostic technique --

Strange that you're all over me about this, pretty sure I've seen others simply
post asking if others had seen some sort of behavior.

>?And please stop complaining about the lack of diagnostic facilities in
>?sipXecs until you remember to use the diagnostic facilities that it does
>?contain.

To someone like me, sorry Dale, but that's not much of a diagnostics tool for
the average user. Maybe it is for folks who work on these things day in and day
out but that's not me. 99% of the time, sipx is working just fine and I move on
to other things since my life isn't only phone systems so I tend to quickly
forget what I learned.

As I said, at some point, I will hire help and you won't have to be burdened
with my asking for help now and then.
_______________________________________

I don't object to people asking for help, but I would like to see them do what
would actually make it possible to get help.  Now it is true that for some
issues, particularly those involving new phone brands, the symptoms can give a
good idea what is going wrong.  But for failures deeper in the heart of SIP,
the symptoms aren't particularly useful to know, other than for extracting the
subset of SIP messages that will reveal what is going on.

The key points when asking for help are:

- report the details of the failure, including the phone numbers involved and
the time

- provide a snapshot with logs covering the time period in question and a few
hours before it

Note that we've worked over the past several years to make the
problem-reporting process as easy as possible for users.  Indeed, there is a
screen in the web user interface for obtaining the snapshot.

In regard to "diagnostics for the average user", there is no reason to expect
that they will ever exist.  sipXecs is quite complicated internally.  The only
effective way to solve problems is to trace a failed call, comparing the SIP
traffic to what it should be, until one isolates which component malfunctioned,
and then to diagnose that malfunction.  That sort of thing is not hard for a
practiced human to do, but it's fiendishly difficult to automate.

If you want to diagnose sipXecs problems yourself, you could start extracting
traces of ordinary calls to learn the patterns of SIP messages.

Dale