-----Original Message-----
From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Stiles
Watson
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:35 PM
To: sipx-users

A newbe's perspective.

I'm new to SipX and to the mailing list (just signed up actually).  I
normally do not signup for mailing lists - I get enough email as is. I
do however, have a problem that I need to solve. I first went to the
forum, submitted my question and got no response. So I tinkered around
in SipX a little more until I got a small part of my problem solved,
went back to the forum and posted an update and asked for further help.
Again, no response. I tinkered, updated and asked one more time with the

same result.

Then...I noticed that the people who were getting responses were on the
mailing list - so I joined. I have no idea if the forum posts to the
list, but I'm guessing it does not. It might and it is just that one
knows how to help me. If so, I'm OK with that. I do need help however,
so I'll explore every avenue.

Back to the philosophical list/forum question:

It is true that lists are "old school" and that forums are the prevalent

way of doing things, BUT Paul's observation about participation is also
very, very true. Email has the huge benefit of being a 'push'
technology, forums are a 'get' technology. To solve the 'get' technology

participation problem, forums starting using RSS to push the content to
the user. RSS solves part of the issue, but many are confused by RSS and

do not use it. Everyone knows and uses email - it will never go away (at

least not anytime in the near future) so it remains the best way to push

content.

My recommendation is to merge the two someway so that forum member's
questions also get posted to the mailing list. That way everything works

regardless of how a particular person likes/wants/needs to participate.

Stiles

Flatfender wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Paul Herron <p...@sagecraftsmen.com>
wrote:

>> While I agree with everything Josh has written below, I'm loathe to
let go
>> of the mailing list. I fear/suspect that shifting to a "forum only"
will
>> lead to a decline in participation and or attrition.
>> In my particular case, IT is just one of the many hats I wear, if I
have to
>> proactively go to a forum, I won't go unless I have a problem. It's
not
>> because I don't want to help but rather, that I don't have the time
and it's
>> not top of mind. The open source mail server I use hosts a forum.
When I was
>> first deploying the server, I went to the forum frequently. The
developer
>> also had a point person who was very active in the forums answering
>> questions and providing updates on the development plans. When
answers from
>> the developers slowed and development updates slowed, participation
in the
>> forums waned. Now, I visit my mail server forums maybe once every
three
>> months and there is very little activity.
>> For me, the mailing list is a good thing. I'm much more familiar with
Sipx