Ok, noone said anything on this yet, don't take this in any way except free
advice or just a perspective on what I've seen and done.

In reading on some of the other lists (like FreeSwitch users), there is no
"guarantee" that FS will operate properly in a Virtual environment. Resource
planning is very important though, because good access to disk (low latency)
and network (again latency) as well as RAM are very important. So allocation
of these, and whether or not the resources (like RAM) are dedicated or not
begin to creep up after prolonged uptime. I would suggest you look at this
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Enterprise_deployment_Xen and also realize
that while their (FS) wiki says one thing, I also hear them say "running in
a virtual environment" is not always as reliable as a physical one, and even
more so (favoring phyisical) in a cloud deployment (i.e. Amazon).

The type of storage network and other items factor in of course. I run
VMWARE in the lab with sipx all the time, and its fine for that, and in
certain production environments it has been fine too for limited use. I
think the key in resources in RAM and planning though. With vmware you can
over allocate RAM, which is fine, but when the "actual" ram usage (which
does get high in sipx) starts to occur, it becomes important to not have
memory allocation issues in your host environment, and once SWAP usage
starts occurring you need to plan a reboot as you might experience a noticed
degradation in services.

Separately, I believe the PROXY role must be chosen (even if not actively
desired) on any node in a HA environment at the present method HA is
written. I do not believe the sipXbridge role is capable of being redundant
in HA at the present time. Gateway failover  as a result might need to be
addressed if this is correct.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Talbot, Peter <
peter.tal...@nrtnortheast.com> wrote:

>  Hi all.
>

> In further pursuing a ‘Production Rollout’ ready implementation of sipXecs,
> I had some final questions, mostly in regards to what can and cannot be
> Virtualized. Currently it is looking like anything that actually handles
> voice traffic (whether recorded messages or ongoing conversations) should
> remain physical due to timing constraints, but other Roles can be
> Virtualized.
>

> What I am loosely looking at then, in a server layout fashion, would be
> something along the lines of:
>

> SIPX1 – Physical Server (Internal network) - Management/Primary SIP Router
>
> SIPX2 – Physical Server (Internal Network) - Redundant SIP Router
>
> SBC1 – Virtual Server (DMZ) - Primary ITSP Gateway (SBC)
>
> SBC2 – Virtual Server (DMZ) - Redundant ITSP Gateway (SBC)
>
> SIPCN1 – Physical Server (Internal Network) - Conferencing
>
> SIPWM1 – Physical Server (Internal Network) - Voicemail
>
> SIPX3 – Virtual Server (Internal Network) - ACD/Instant Messaging
>

> Physical and Virtual Servers would all be 64bit, running a minimum of 8GB
> of RAM, the VM1 machine having extra storage space, and all with a good
> processors (well above the recommended listed in Michael’s book) and GB
> Ethernet. Virtual Machines would have slightly less power, but the Roles are
> slightly less power hungry anyway. In this instance, Remote Workers would be
> connected via VPN to our internal network, so Remote Worker traffic would
> act just like ‘inside user’ traffic.
>

> *Does the above seem like a plausible solution?*
>

> As a secondary necessity – in regards to load testing – what tools of those
> available (like WinSIP) would any of you recommend?
>

> Peter Talbot
>
> [v1.0.07.109]

Why do mathematicians always confuse Halloween and Christmas?
Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec.