I have this working with several PRI gateways as inbound paperless and
inbound/outbound to plain paper fax machines. I don't use AudioCodes
but I know it works. When I use Patton gateways I make sure both the
PRI gateway and the ATA (for FXS/plain paper devices) is configured to
use t.38 internally. So far it has been bulletproof.

I also use Appia for siptrunking and have the exact same results in
lieu of a PRI. It has also been bulletproof.

As you have not provided a lot of detail on your configuration, one
can only assume it was an interoperability issue between the
requirements (re-invite with sdp from g711 to t.38) with the ITSP in
question that has likely caused this issue. We have seen this with
many ITSP's that have a homegrown or "not 100% route guaranteed" t.38
call platform.

If you can share what ITSP you are usingwith your solution, it would
be most helpful instead of saying "GFI faxmaker with XCAPI" worked
with a sip trunk but not saying who the trunk is from. It can save
someone else down the road a lot of misery.