I've often heard it cited that the old ACD cant transfer out of the queue.  I
think this is based on very old info....pre 4.2 days.  We have no less than
hundreds of calls (if not thousands) across several customers sites sending
calls into queues and back out to non ACD extensions.  ACD has preformed very
well for us and is very stable (i cant think of one ACD related crash/issue).
When it comes to transferring out of the queue, I'd say our heaviest call
center customer that has 23 agents and processes no less than 800 calls a day
will transfer 50% of the calls from and agent out of the queue to a regular
extension.  They even transfer ACD calls back out to external numbers
(hairpins).

In fact, we have a customer that has some pretty complex call flow in and out
of the ACD.
Calls come into the queue.  If its not answered it overflows out to an AA where
they get custom options to keep holding etc.  they then get transferred back
into a second ACD queue.  This happens multiple times.  Siptraces are quite
long because each call stays anchored in the queue which is great for reporting.

Hunt groups do not provide was call centers want.  Call center managers need to
run reports based on when an agent signed in/out; how long did they talk; how
long did they ring;  how long are customers waiting in queues and how many
customers are stacking up in queues....

The distinctive tone as noted in this original thread and modified caller id
are also part of that need.

Hunt groups just dont preform these functions (if they did, they would be an
ACD and not a hunt group).

So for us, the bulk of our installations are call centers.  As VOIP/SIP becomes
more common place its increasingly difficult to sell something that just does
call routing and voicemail...there is just so many cheap and hosted solutions
if thats all you need.  Which is why are installations for the last few years
have moved up the stack to customers that have more specialized needs.

So for us, our dilemma is get sipXacd maintained internally (we have an elance
dev working on that now), or look for a new platform.

-M

>>> Michael Picher <mpic...@ezuce.com> 08/29/12 6:53 AM >>>
The problem with the old ACD, every time I tried to use it, was that it was
fragile.  Do this, don't ever do that, etc...  Any time I tried to use it in a
situation the customer (and then ultimately me) had a bad experience.

If they can make it stable, and make it so you can transfer calls out of queue
that would be awesome.

Most people don't need a real ACD (even though they think they want an ACD).
What they need are fancy hunt groups which is exactly what the 4.4 ACD does.

Work has begun on a new hunt group app that will hopefully alleviate the need
for an ACD in cases where it really isn't needed.  This will be based around
some new code and involve a B2BUA that can 'own' the call and then hunt out.
This will be in contrast to how hunt groups work now where it's a SIP messaging
nightmare.

Circular hunt groups, linear hunt groups, being able to ring the same extension
at more than one point in a hunt group are all envisioned.  At some point I'd
even like to see users be able to (from a phone or user portal) login/out of
hunt groups, or only ring certain users for different days/hours in a hunt
group.

With the current workload I wouldn't expect anything until 4.8 though.

Thanks,
  Mike