Matt - thanks for this detailed response.   Can you share with the list if
there are any gotcha's that you know of that you avoid so that you have
successful deployments of the ACD, or any best practices you have used to
ensure success?

From: sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org
[mailto:sipx-users-boun...@list.sipfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Matt White
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:29 AM
To: sipx-users@list.sipfoundry.org
Subject: Re: [sipx-users] 4.4 ACD pickup Beep

I've often heard it cited that the old ACD cant transfer out of the queue.
I think this is based on very old info....pre 4.2 days.  We have no less
than hundreds of calls (if not thousands) across several customers sites
sending calls into queues and back out to non ACD extensions.  ACD has
preformed very well for us and is very stable (i cant think of one ACD
related crash/issue).  When it comes to transferring out of the queue, I'd
say our heaviest call center customer that has 23 agents and processes no
less than 800 calls a day will transfer 50% of the calls from and agent out
of the queue to a regular extension.  They even transfer ACD calls back out
to external numbers (hairpins).

In fact, we have a customer that has some pretty complex call flow in and
out of the ACD.
Calls come into the queue.  If its not answered it overflows out to an AA
where they get custom options to keep holding etc.  they then get
transferred back into a second ACD queue.  This happens multiple times.
Siptraces are quite long because each call stays anchored in the queue which
is great for reporting.

Hunt groups do not provide was call centers want.  Call center managers need
to run reports based on when an agent signed in/out; how long did they talk;
how long did they ring;  how long are customers waiting in queues and how
many customers are stacking up in queues....

The distinctive tone as noted in this original thread and modified caller id
are also part of that need.

Hunt groups just dont preform these functions (if they did, they would be an
ACD and not a hunt group).

So for us, the bulk of our installations are call centers.  As VOIP/SIP
becomes more common place its increasingly difficult to sell something that
just does call routing and voicemail...there is just so many cheap and
hosted solutions if thats all you need.  Which is why are installations for
the last few years have moved up the stack to customers that have more
specialized needs.

So for us, our dilemma is get sipXacd maintained internally (we have an
elance dev working on that now), or look for a new platform.

-M

>>> Michael Picher <mpic...@ezuce.com> 08/29/12 6:53 AM >>>
The problem with the old ACD, every time I tried to use it, was that it was
fragile.  Do this, don't ever do that, etc...  Any time I tried to use it in
a situation the customer (and then ultimately me) had a bad experience.

If they can make it stable, and make it so you can transfer calls out of
queue that would be awesome.

Most people don't need a real ACD (even though they think they want an ACD).
What they need are fancy hunt groups which is exactly what the 4.4 ACD does.

Work has begun on a new hunt group app that will hopefully alleviate the
need for an ACD in cases where it really isn't needed.  This will be based
around some new code and involve a B2BUA that can 'own' the call and then
hunt out.  This will be in contrast to how hunt groups work now where it's a
SIP messaging nightmare.

Circular hunt groups, linear hunt groups, being able to ring the same
extension at more than one point in a hunt group are all envisioned.  At
some point I'd even like to see users be able to (from a phone or user
portal) login/out of hunt groups, or only ring certain users for different
days/hours in a hunt group.

With the current workload I wouldn't expect anything until 4.8 though.

Thanks,

  Mike

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Matt White <mwh...@thesummit-grp.com>