Hi Arne

Using your guidelines I tried configuring JAAS with Slide.

I did something like:

1)
Configure tomcat web.xml to have
      <Context path="/slide" debug="0" privileged="true" useNaming="true">
        <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm"
          appName="slide_login"
          userClassNames="org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlidePrincipal"
          roleClassNames="org.apache.slide.jaas.spi.SlideRole"
          name="Slide DAV Server"
          useContextClassLoader="false" />
      </Context>
in Host.

2) Copied jaas.config file in conf folder of tomcat

3) Copied slide-jaas-2.1.jar in \\Tomcat 5.5\common\lib folder

4) Uncommented <security-constraint> from Slide web.xml

5) Set environment variable
CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.security.auth.login.config=$CATALINA_HOME/conf/jaas
.config

Retsrated tomcat server and then tried connecting Slide using Web DAV Explorer
client provided by Slide, but when I tried login, tomcat log says:

Unable to locate a login configuration...here is the error for details

Sep 15, 2007 8:26:27 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm authenticate
SEVERE: Unexpected error
java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to locate a login configuration
 at com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
 at javax.security.auth.login.Configuration$3.run(Unknown Source)
 at javax.security.auth.login.Configuration.getConfiguration(Unknown Source)
 at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$1.run(Unknown Source)
 at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.init(Unknown Source)
 at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.<init>(Unknown Source)
 at org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm.authenticate(JAASRealm.java:355)
 at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator.authenticate(BasicAuthenticator.java:181)
 at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:446)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
 at
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
 at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
 at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:825)
 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:738)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:526)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
 at
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to locate a login configuration
 at com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile.init(Unknown Source)
 ... 27 more

Do you have idea if I am missing out anything here.

Regards,
Satish