Hi,

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 14:50 +0100 schrieb Alexander Saar:
> I think the versioning scheme is OK, as it supports the needed requirements.
>
> I very much like the idea of just releasing single bundles, as it allows
> faster bug fixing and improvement/enhancement of funtionality. But from
> a user perspective it should be ensured that there are regular releases
> of webapp and standalone app. On the one hand this allows releasing of a
> set of bundles wich are ensured to work together. On the other hand it
> prevents users that start with sling in one or two years from starting
> with an old sling version and installing all new bundles again.

Agreed. This is why it says: "For convenience we may create standalone
and web application releases once or twice a year. These applications
though would just be packagings of already released bundles." :-)

> BTW, is there a way to define a set of bundles which certainly work
> together. Can this be done with the assembly feature? If so we could
> just release assemblies containing newest sling bundles once or twice a
> year.

Basically yes, but: The OSGi Compendium 1.4 has a Deployment Admin
Specification which defines a deployment package file format and and
respective administrative API. In the Apache Felix project we are
currently waiting for the paper work to be finished for a contribution
of an implementation of that specification. As soon as that one is in
Apache Felix, we might well provide Deployment Packages of Sling
Bundles.

On short term, we might well create assemblies for them. Good proposals
for creation of such assemblies are welcome, of course :-)