On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:35:32 +0000
Christopher Rogers <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think we should have separate cache folders for undigest mirrors. This is
> so you don't overlap the main mirror cache with your undigest cache
> packages. The folder path could be something like
> /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/1.

I suggest to cache this way :
/home/slitaz/$repository_name/packages

So, local repositories & cache will be the same thing, and people will build 
their local repository when downloading packages. For liveUSB & frugal 
installation using home= boot option, the packages will remains from a session 
to another. 
This way, we can easily build cache for cooking and stable on the same device; 
with the two systems on frugal install or liveUSB, or even classical install, 
and GRUB bootloader.

This will open some interesting possibilities for the future, please add yours :
        * tazpkg info files can be put there instead of /var/lib/tazpkg to 
fully feet this philosophy and avoid some additionnal downloads;
        * An option in tazpkg can came along this to update the cache/local 
repository; 
        * get-* packages can be cached in something like 
/home/slitaz/$release-get/packages and be persistant from a session to another. 
A lot of live & openoffice users will appreciate this :)
        * tazlito can be hacked to use this new tree model, note it's the tree 
model I choose in tazwok-testing/tazchroot/libtaz, mainly because it's the one 
used on tank (so iso will be save in /home/slitaz/$repository_name/isos by 
example)
        * tazlito/tazusb can also be hacked to bring some packages in live 
creation (i.e: thoses used in flavor, thoses needed to compile it from scratch, 
some additionnal usefull applications, or all the repository) - making update 
of rootfs speedest or installation of additionnal apps speedest. It also allow 
home-made flavors to bring some home-made packages; and be safe of breakage 
when updating (using /var/lib/tazpkg/priority file) even if there's no online 
repository avalaible.
        * Using some special filesystem; we can extend this fonctionnality to 
liveCD/DVD (it needs to mount it as /home/slitaz while keeping the writing 
possibility in RAM... There's probably a fs capable of that).
        * Let's go far : using some special filesystem, we also can make a 
liveCD/DVD-R able to store updates using multi-session writing (like 
PuppyDVD)... With a 30Mb system on a 700Mb CD, it sounds good :)
        * I'm sure I forgot a lot of things :)

By the way, it will also save a lot of mirrors banwitdh.

I'm not intend to code this immediatly, but this idea of changing the cache 
method is in my head since few weeks and I will do this someday if nobody does 
before. If you want to, please don't be lazy and go ahead :)

-- 
GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]>


---
SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

Reply via email to