On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:44:55 +0000 Christopher Rogers <[email protected]> wrote:
> The /home/slitaz folder is a bad idea since most development folders on tank > go there. That could cause confinct with there being to many folders there. As you know, I made some changes recently in tazpkg. Before that, tazpkg copied packages info files from local repository (/home/slitaz/$release/packages) into the /var/lib/tazpkg; and copied packages from local repository to cache dir (/var/cache/tazpkg). Now, it uses symlinks instead; so virtually cache and local repository **are already merged**. It doesn't complexify anything and save a lot of ressources. Then, about undigest : as you push the m5sum verification in tazpkg, here's whats going on : if names overlaps, it replace the symlink to a repository (lets say /home/slitaz/cooking/packages/pkg.tazpkg) by a symlink to the desired one (i.e. : /home/slitaz/undigest/packages/pkg.tazpkg). So once again, all run as cache dir and local repo are merged actually; and it's precisely based on tank directory structure = no problem here, even with multiple repositories using the same cache. I was talking about desirable changes to make things better, because there's really no problem with actual behavior. About info files : the side-effect of using symlink is that tazpkg recharge is needed only once time; then info files linked from local repository are always up-to-date :) > Also this would require a rewrite of most tools that look at CACHE_DIR path. So : tazpkg, as the only other occurence to CACHE_DIR in SliTaz tools is a line in tazlito which try to link packages from cache directory to the local directory... > I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves > everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard drive. > The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder > too. > > With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of ram > just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from > initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot and > buidl the iso. The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home from an encrypted file; etc). > I just think its better to use the /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/$repo path for > undigest for now. We should just work on make home= boot option work more > like changes boot option in modular-slitaz. I don't see the point about home= boot option. I disagree with your criticals but obviously you can proceed to this change if you want to. Hoverwhere, I think having the cache on a peristent home will be a great improvement and I intend to code this someday. Peace, -- GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]> --- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

