Correction -- /etc/skel would actually have become the new /root folder to be copied to /home/root where /root would be linked. This would allow for booting without a home= option, as it would contain the basic defaults, and could still be run on a machine without any writable media available. Any thoughts on this whole idea are very much welcome.
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Indigo <[email protected]> wrote: > Let's remember the importance of keeping the permissions right for the > root user. A regular user should not have the ability to change > settings in /etc or alter /var/cache -- I do like the idea of using > the home= boot option, though. My idea is this: lets make a > /home/root folder and just symlink /root to it. In the /home/root > folder, we can have a cache directory, as well as the slitaz directory > (only a root user should be able to generate a new iso from the > existing filesystem, anyway) -- the permissions could remain > root:root, and this could facilitate a writable place for changes in > the root filesystem. By this, I mean that the root user could make a > custom /etc/network.conf, or whatever, and have it persistent for the > next boot. We could do away with /etc/skel also, as I suggested > before, and have one place for customizations that wouldn't affect > $user directories or the rootfs... this would mean that a user could > reboot into a completely different flavor, or custom package list, and > not lose display settings or wireless configs. > > > On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Christopher Rogers > <[email protected]> wrote: >>>The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide >>>instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow >>>the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache >>>folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and >>>will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount >>>absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home >>>from an encrypted file; etc). >> >> I was talking when you were said that the livecd could be 700mb. (Like puppy >> linux multisession or something.) This is without the home= option. Even >> with home= option your still not going to have your custom packages that you >> installed to system. Also since its only saving to home folder everything >> else is still in RAM. You will not save /etc folder. You will not save any >> other folder other than /home. >> >>> I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves >>> everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard >>> drive. >>> The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc folder >>> too. >>> >>> With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of >>> ram >>> just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from >>> initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot >>> and >>> buidl the iso. >> >> I said in the quote uncompressed 700mb cd/rootfs.gz = OVER 2GB. I was not >> talking about home= option in 3rd paragraph. >> >> I hope this helps. >> >> PS I can talk to you better in irc then email. Sorry about my confusion. >> >> >> >> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM, GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]> wrote: >>> >>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:44:55 +0000 >>> Christopher Rogers <[email protected]> wrote: >>> >>> > The /home/slitaz folder is a bad idea since most development folders on >>> > tank >>> > go there. That could cause confinct with there being to many folders >>> > there. >>> >>> As you know, I made some changes recently in tazpkg. Before that, >>> tazpkg copied packages info files from local repository >>> (/home/slitaz/$release/packages) into the /var/lib/tazpkg; and copied >>> packages from local repository to cache dir (/var/cache/tazpkg). Now, >>> it uses symlinks instead; so virtually cache and local repository **are >>> already merged**. It doesn't complexify anything and save a lot of >>> ressources. Then, about undigest : as you push the m5sum verification >>> in tazpkg, here's whats going on : if names overlaps, it replace the >>> symlink to a repository (lets >>> say /home/slitaz/cooking/packages/pkg.tazpkg) by a symlink to the >>> desired one (i.e. : /home/slitaz/undigest/packages/pkg.tazpkg). So once >>> again, all run as cache dir and local repo are merged actually; and >>> it's precisely based on tank directory structure = no problem here, >>> even with multiple repositories using the same cache. I was talking >>> about desirable changes to make things better, because there's really >>> no problem with actual behavior. About info files : the side-effect of >>> using symlink is that tazpkg recharge is needed only once time; then >>> info files linked from local repository are always up-to-date :) >>> >>> > Also this would require a rewrite of most tools that look at CACHE_DIR >>> > path. >>> So : tazpkg, as the only other occurence to CACHE_DIR in SliTaz tools >>> is a line in tazlito which try to link packages from cache directory to >>> the local directory... >>> >>> > I also use my modular-slitaz that has changes boot option. This saves >>> > everything that is not from the livecd into changes folder on my hard >>> > drive. >>> > The home= boot option you also don't have system settings from /etc >>> > folder >>> > too. >>> > >>> > With the way sitaz works the make a full 700mb cd would take over 2gb of >>> > ram >>> > just for the filesystem. This is cause everything is uncompressed from >>> > initramfs file into ram. Also this would cause slitaz to be slow to boot >>> > and >>> > buidl the iso. >>> >>> The goal of home= boot option is precisely to use an external devide >>> instead of having a home in RAM, so I don't see how it will make grow >>> the RAM requirement to 2GB. It's the exact opposite : Having the cache >>> folder on /home will avoid keeping all downloaded packages in RAM ! and >>> will avoid re-download them at each session. And you can mount >>> absolutely what you want as home (i.e: liveCD+home on hdd; usb+home >>> from an encrypted file; etc). >>> >>> > I just think its better to use the /var/cache/tazpkg/undigest/$repo path >>> > for >>> > undigest for now. We should just work on make home= boot option work >>> > more >>> > like changes boot option in modular-slitaz. >>> >>> I don't see the point about home= boot option. I disagree with your >>> criticals but obviously you can proceed to this change if you want to. >>> Hoverwhere, I think having the cache on a peristent home will be a >>> great improvement and I intend to code this someday. >>> >>> Peace, >>> >>> -- >>> GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]> >>> >>> >>> --- >>> SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/ >>> >> >> > --- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

