On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 01:55:25 +0200 Brenton Edgar Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> To all those with a problem with sponsorships: Have you every read the > GNU GPL license? I mean really read it and not just guess what it means. > The cliff note version: It gives you the right to copy, modify, share, > distribute and SELL the software in anyway you wish provided you share > the source code free of charge of any alterations you make. You see, > the GPL allows us to sell and sponsor SliTaz and it's Endorsed by GNU, > which invented the concept of Free Software. I agree, the term Free > Software is confusing, but it means Free, as in Freedom or Libre and > not Free, in Free of Charge. Servers and web hosts cost money. > Developers have families to support. A project like this has large > overhead. What is wrong with asking for donations and sponsorships? > What is wrong with making a pro version? Fedora does it with it's Red > Hat release? Hell, even Ubuntu charges for training and expert > support. Exactly. There is nothing wrong with it. I'm surprised Gok > which is such a big Libre and Security supporter is against GoGoDuck. > It's a secure and non-tracking search engine! And they give SliTaz some > income to pay for our servers. It's a win-win situation and the user > can easily change the search engine if they want. I also don't see any > problem with developers being paid to do support or custom software. > The guys that make Busybox does it. Ubuntu does it. Hell, all the > commercial Linuxes does it. And you can still get them for Free. > Really, give me one good reason why you're against it. You are a bit familiar to me so I feel like explaining you my point. But let me be clear: I give my point & I'm over with it - the habitual troll is not needed. To start let me clarify few things. The first thing is that what GNU GPL say or not doesn't matter much here: I'm acting using my ethic&feelings not any formal views about what is right & what is wrong or what should or not should be done. FSF is not my god nor Ubuntu or linux. I think that our universe of possibilities can go beyond what they did if we choose to. But you said exactly the right thing about ads: "all the commercial Lunixes does it"... Second, and contrary to what you pretend, I'm not against DuckDuckGo - but neither for them. I don't care about them at all. But I'm against *ads in SliTaz*. Useless to tell me that sponsorship is not ads: ask anyone to show you the ads at www.slitaz.org. They just will. (ho, and being a "secure" and "non-tracking" commercial search engine doesn't imply that all libre defenders owe you greetings by the way...) Then, I don't want to troll about the cost of a project such SliTaz etc. because actually the goal of SliTaz going economics is to have one guy paid: pankso. Who don't get it miss the whole point. Now, you say it's not bad to have developers being paid but for my part I don't intend to be paid by SliTaz and didn't asked to. I contribute to create something I like to, and to defend ideas I have. And if don't want to contribute, I don't contribute because I don't owe SliTaz anything. And there's something you can't ignore: I don't want to contribute to a commercial project as I want to go the a-commercial way. I know that some people think that if you don't do profit you don't do a commercial project. So they end up to thinking that it's possible to have ads, sponsorships and t-shirt selling in a non-commercial way. Don't make me cry. I don't want to be in a so-called community where one guy take the decisions, then if you disagree say you : ok, what do you propose then? For me the acceptable way to do is to ask other first and have them involved in the decisions - or I don't call it community. Being here from two year I expect something else that being said that "Nonono we won't going commercial - the goal of donation is to keep ads-free!" then one week later "Hey, guys, I signed a contract we have ads & money so coool!". I'm not a cow. Ho, and I certainly don't want to see a guy like indigo6 who's extremely helpfull since two & half year and struggled to test RC those last week be treated as shit just because he expressed that irc is a good place to fix bugs - plus he's right about that anyway. I respect him. Then, you might not think those are good reasons, but still these are the ones you asked for. Honnestly, if you don't consider them goods or don't undestand my way it won't change much for me. It's the last time I express myself in SliTaz. I don't want to be thanked by disdain anymore. -- GoKhlaYeh <[email protected]> -- SliTaz GNU/Linux Mailing list - http://www.slitaz.org/

