On 15 Dec, Ken Yap wrote:
>  You are probably expecting that calling fetchmail as root and giving 
>  the -u kendall will fetch kendall's mail. I have my doubts about this. 
>  What I find works is to do: 
>   
>       su -c fetchmail kendall 
>   
>  i.e. run fetchmail as kendall, not root. 

No, I was running the command from my wife's account, and from the
shell script from my wife's account.  With a set -x I watched the
script execute and fail in the odd way; but if I cut and pasted the
command at the bash prompt it worked.

So Charlie's variant of Ken's suggestion wouldn't (doesn't) work,
either!

> Or perhaps "su - kendall -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail" to get kednall's login
> environment.
> 
> Charlie Brady

I discovered a small error in my description; what actually happens is
that when my wife runs the command via the script, she gets this error:

+ /usr/bin/fetchmail -u kendall -p POP3 mail.zeta.org.au
fetchmail: can't set up default delivery to kendall
+ exit 5

and only when run from the command line is she prompted for a password.

It can't be a user identity thing, as the command is run by the same
person, the only difference is whether it's from a script or not.

I think it's a fetchmail bug.  What I've also just discovered is that
this works fine for me; the only difference is that my wife chose to
have a different account name at our ISP than she has on the local
machine...  I'll have a look at the fetchmail source over the weekend
and let you know if I find anything.

luke


--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to