Yes, I did restart apache.Yes, I did create a default page.

I tried chmod 711 on the dir and checked that all the files in the dir were 644
world readable. Still no go : (

The precise error message received is:

" Forbidden:

You don't have permission to access /~gis on this server "

Any more ideas?

Tim Sutton
South Africa


On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Tim Sutton wrote:
> 
> > I am trying to set up user web dirs e.g. http://xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa/~username on
> > RH6.0 / Apache.
> > 
> > I set the userdir to html_pub in srm.conf and created a directory (logged in as
> > the user) in the user's home dir called html_pub.
> > 
> > When I try and browse to that dir, I get access denied everytime. What am I
> > doing wrong / what should the permissions be on html_pub?
> 
> chmod 711 html_pub
> 
> Browsers require the X bit on directories to enable them to change into
> the directory. You then have to set files _in_ that directory to world
> readable {chmod 644 file.html} so they can actually look at the files.
> 
> DaZZa
> 
> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
> unsubscribe in the text
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to