Dave Fitch wrote:

> interesting you say "good quality lines" and that you get 50,667
> connects.  I too get 50667 or 49333 connects and always called
> my phone line "reasonable".  Is there anyone that gets more
> than 50667k from their 56k modem?

I've (very) occasionally seen 9-10 KB/s, fairly regularly get around 7,
most often it's around 5-6. I find it amusing that this is with a Lucent
winmodem and the dodgy binary driver originally compiled under RH 6, the
2.2.14 ppp module gaffer taped into the 2.2.16 kernel - and it still
connects better than under Windows! I did hear that it's theoretically
possible to almost double connection speeds with a 56k modem by turning
off error correction (though I guess you might end up with a rapidly
downloaded pile of garbage ;-).