Dave Kempe wrote:

> That is all defined by the V.90 standard. An article on Slashdot a while
> back suggest that the IEEE is going to change it with a new standard. Make
> it symetrical both ways . I can't find any info so maybe im dreaming about
> that bit. Just gotta wait for damn communications companies to communicate.

Just to let you know that you're not dreaming - I remember something
about this. Also can't find anything about it now... Probably one of the
numerous 'Evil Plots'(TM) floating around... Slashdot should get
themselves better organised. :-)

Oh, and so here you go and find it, just while I'm in the middle of
typing out a response of not having found it... :-) Yeah, that's
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/07/21/0242231&mode=nested> the
article I remembered. And personally I've never heard anything about it
in Australia yet.