> Sounds about right to me. But I think there's a difference in the speed
> a 56k modem can upload and download - downloads should be faster,
> because there you're changing digital to analogue, which should work
> better than the analogue to digital required for uploading info. I think
> I've got that the right way around. :-) Bottom line is - a 56k modem can
> download faster than it uploads. In theory you can get a full 56k
> download speed, but not upload (all depending on line quality).

That is all defined by the V.90 standard. An article on Slashdot a while
back suggest that the IEEE is going to change it with a new standard. Make
it symetrical both ways . I can't find any info so maybe im dreaming about
that bit. Just gotta wait for damn communications companies to communicate.

I reckon its one of the great industrial ironies that communications
companies seem the worst at communicating between themselves.

dave