On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, marty wrote:

> i was wondering about certifications...  i have no qualifications because
> i learnt for myself how to build, configure and test hardware and how to
> setup, use, network (etc.) linux...  but how do i prove that to an
> employer without taking one of these exams, so as to have a piece of paper
> to wave around ??  also, how do i assess whether my skills are of a
> sufficient level (a doubt i have, hence why i haven't gone IT job hunting)
> without getting someone to check my competency ??

Shrugs, after a while of speaking on this list I gather you'll have many
people to vouch for you if your knowledge of the OS is really as good as
you think it is.  InstallFests, etc are all good experience, and qualify
as experience on your resume.  If you can convince your local school,
hospital, or Pizza Haven to consider Linux, then you'll also have their
certification of what you can do.  All of the above would rate more highly
in my book than a certification.  A certification is a very indirect way
of saying "This person knows something..".  A reference is a very personal
way of saying "This guy knows his stuff!".  Which would you pick out of
the two?

Sure, there are still lots of companies who simply make judgements based
on pieces of paper such as certifications, but there are also a lot more
now than there used to be who are willing to accept that you know what you
know, (being able to prove it helps), and I think you'll be okay.

I left after Year 10 (a few years back :P) to continue learning computer
related stuff (have been running a Computer Sales business and still am),
and now work for a company in the US you may have heard of called
freshmeat.  Anyhow, freshmeat is probably a unique example, but if you
develop a reputation of knowing your stuff, you'll generally find that
people will learn of that reputation, and hopefully choose to employ you
based merely on that, and perhaps a small demonstration just to convince
the local sysadmin :P

Andrew.

--
If you are still using my old e-mail addresses, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or [EMAIL PROTECTED], you should change to [EMAIL PROTECTED]