> i see this as being a good way to test the employer. if they insist on
> a redhat (or some other) certification, and ignore whatever other work
> you have done, they probably aren't a good place to work.

i guess i was thinking that certification would give me some confidence
going into an interview (ie. that bit of paper works for me as well as
the employer)... but that just comes down to me not using my skills in the
real world enough, something that would make me more knowledgable and all
also provide references to back up my skills...

> ditto goes for demanding CV's in word .doc, etc, etc

do you think they would actually not take your CV it was .txt ??

> if i was to interview you, i'd be much more interested in what you
> knew, understood and had done. most importantly - how well you can
> learn on your own. a certificate from one of these "courses" doesn't
> necessarily count for much.

this is very reassuring... i just have to find more guinea pigs with
the "trust me, i'll be gentle" line...  ;)

later
marty

"I can't buy what I want because it's free. Can't be what they want
because I'm me." - Corduroy, Pearl Jam