>What I am concerned about is that if by doing a RedHat endorsed course, I
>would be exposed to RedHat tools that wouldn't apply to Un*x in general,
>such as the rpm system and GUI-based configuration tools.
>Any experiences with these programs would really be appreciated.

Ive done the RHCE - yes you must know RPM, I can't go into too much detail
(or Redhat will give me a boot up the behind) but if you know your Linux
very well, you shouldnt have much trouble

Good thing is, you can use any tools on the standard Redhat distro you wish
to get the job done - thats all I can really say :)

Stephen