On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 02:39:08PM +1000, Andrew Macks wrote:
> <from the Andypoo's Philosophy archive>
>
> That's my main fear about certification.  Lots of people being taught to
> use a GUI which is very non-standard, or even just taught the basics of
> using a computer/OS rather than mastering it.  They shouldn't be taught
> how to do things, but more how to find things and work them out for
> themselves, the basic structure of Linux, how it's designed, how it works.
>
> It would be like all these Microsoft MSCE people.  How many of them know
> anything about Windows' application design?  Or even just the registry
> structure?  (Is there a registry structure? :P)  But seriously, even
> though one could argue, "But why would they need to know that?", I don't
> think you deserve a certificate of creditation for anything less than
> that.  You should be expected to know at least a bit of everything.

Why should you need to know about application design or registry
structure for MCSE?  It's not in the test.

The problem is too many people see MSCE and similar certifictions as
being "expert in all things" rather than simply being the ability
to pass a test to a certain criteria.

--
enterfornone - insert clever comment here
http://www.enterfornone.com/