> a)  continue with the degree (will take another 3 years at current
> rate) and find another job in which i would get a chance to develop
> linuxy skills?
>
> b) stay with the job and ditch (or defer) uni in favour of some sort
> of linux-based/related training, which could see me using such skills
> in a job in the not too distant future?

Hey its a daring thing to suggest, but if you have the right experience,
join the club of us people who drop out of uni after a few years, get a job
and have a great time working with linux stuff :) So maybe thats a
combination of A and B. depends on how employable you are.
IMHO, staying longer at uni would have made me less employable.
Uni teaches you how to think. And i reckon they have got it wrong
unfortunately. Great place to be and i had a great time, but I see the way
of thinking about problems and things I have now and see that uni wasn't
going to give me that, it was going to give me something diffrent - which I
see in my friends who have finished or are finishing uni.
IT is a tricky area to teach, experience is always the best teacher I guess.

dave