This one time, at band camp, I said:

>I've given up on kernel-package.  Despite rtfming, the patches are not
>being applied, the addon alsa modules are a pain to compile, and worse,
>whenever I do an apt update, my new kernel image gets dusted by the
>version in the distro.

I started to grok it as soon as I posted this.. ;)  So, i can now apply
the patch, and build the modules (i had messed the source up, a re-untar
fixed it).

The only problem I have now is that apt and/or dselect keep wanting to
'upgrade' my brand new kernel with the generic one in the repository.
Even putting the package on hold wasn't good enough.  As a work around I
made the new kernel-image have the same version as the one in the repos,
to fool apt.

Somewhere else, I noticed that there was controversy over the HelixCode
versioning scheme, in that it made it difficult to upgrade to the
official packages because 'helix' always was a greater version than any
number.  I also read that they've made a workaround in dpkg for this.
Could this be the reason that it's dusting my kernel?  I was using
'willow.1' as the version, which according to the docs, won't be
overwritten for the same reason as above.

--
     Sure, I subscribe to USENET, but I only get it for the articles.
(o_ '