----- Original Message -----
From: "Rebecca Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Rebecca Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Re: ADSL not working - Authentication problem

> > to make it an interface that starts automatically. I have an unlimited
> > connection, so I don't want to have to worry about connecting. I edited
>
> There have been occasions where the PPP link has gone down (because
> the access server somewhere within Tel$tra died), and it's spent all
> afternoon trying to reconnect.

I hate it when that happens - it usually results in me not being able to
contact my home systems from work. :/

> I hate to be in a situation where Tel$tra charges flagfall for the
> outbound connection, and not realising it until after my ADSL modem picks
> up and drops the line a million times in a day.

Uh... they don't work that way at all.  Its a permenant link - you have 24/7
connectivity to the auth/PPPoE servers, regardless if PPPoE is up or not.
You need to have the PPPoE layer up to route IP somewhere useful though.
The line is connected the moment the line-sync light stops blinking. :)

> I much rather like the situation where, if the link dies and doesn't come
> back up within say three attempts, it stops and waits for me to see what's
> happening.

I get this by virtue of the adsl-start script timing out after a minute on
my debian border-box.

> At the end of my rc.local (I'm using RH62), I set up my firewall, and then
> call adsl-start. quite simple.

I have /etc/init.d/ipchains and /etc/init.d/adsl for this purpose.  Same
thing. Different implementation.

> > > One other tip.  You'll notice that the SMTP server setting provided by
the
> > > documentation is "mail-hub" and the POP server is "pop-server" with no
FQDN.
> > > Set the "search" option in your /etc/resolv.conf to
"vic.bigpond.net.au", and
> > > mail-hub and everything else will magically start resolving :)  www
will also
> > > magically start resolving too.
> >
> > Yeah, this one confused me for a bit, but I came up with a slightly
> > different solution. instead of the "search" option I used the "domain"
> > option, as in:
> >
> > domain vic.bigpond.net.au
>
> Now all of the machines on your local network have a vic.bigpond.net.au
> domain, which is completely different to the search order.
>
> For instance, I have the following:
>
> domain home.becsta.net
> search vic.bigpond.net.au
>
> All of my machines on my local network have a home.becsta.net FQDN, but I
> can try to resolve www, in which case the resolver will try
> www. www.home.becsta.net and www.vic.bigpond.net.au (or something like
> that, I forget the exact way it does this).

I have a similar arrangement using my own home domain home.xware.cx... my
resolv.conf reads:

---BEGIN---
nameserver 192.168.3.22
search vic.bigpond.net.au home.xware.cx
---END---

Of course, 193.168.3.22 holds my internal DNS with forwarding to the Telstra
DNS.
The search line tells my system to search for unqualified hosts in
vic.bigpond.net.au *before* looking in home.xware.cx.  This suits me fine
since I don't have a `www.home.xware.cx'.  This is also the Right Thing(tm)
for multiple search zones.