I think its a very per-school thing.
Having just finished high school i though comput*ing* studies
(which is now a string of other subjects) was reasonable.
The subject studies computing, and as such you learn pseudo-code
flow charts, you also learn elementry stuff about error checking
and correction.

in 9 - 10 we "learned" basic then pascal (but who didnt start
using basic when they were like 7)

i did 3u computers. 3u computers wasnt much of a step from 2u
just add in railroad charts and the 5 langauge generations and
your on to your HSC.

My 2u teacher was (is) a Netware nut. He also *loves* HP.
Fortunately he can back it up with a damn good knowledge of
computers and yes we did get him to try linux *grin*
(but when you get netware free anyway....)

My 3u teacher was an AI programmer and wrote M_Bank (something
like that) which is a add on thingy for ms word. Which makes
generating exams, and exam result sheets stupidly easy (the
good bit was the highly accurate diagrams built from the question
data)

He didnt give a stuff about OS's and stuff. He just *really*
knew how to program and let us use whaever we wanted for our
major's.

I used pascal cos im lazy (i thought about perl, in retrospect
java wouldnt have been a bad option) others used delphi, c (on
beos) and vb.

My high school was pretty good in the computers dept., which
is good for a selective school. Unfortunately a teachers wage
isnt as good as your average IT job =(

Dean