Dear Slug,

Could anyone shed some light on a problem I'm having with ssh? I'm new
at using ssh so I read a couple 'how tos' (perhaps not the right one)
but it appears that it should be far more straightforward than what I am
experiencing...

I need to use ssh from my Linux machine to log into a SUN computer in
Denmark, then start an xterm on another computer behind their firewall
(on a 192.168.1.0 network).

Not having ssh installed, I went to freshmeat.net and found ssh which I
installed without drama. I then tried to ssh to the computer...

greggs@linuxbox# ssh aegir.miba.auc.dk
warning: Executing /usr/local/bin/ssh1 for ssh1 compatibility.
Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed

then went back to freshmeat.net and found a GNU clone of ssh called lsh.
Installed that and tried:

[greggs@linuxbox src]# ./lsh aegir.miba.auc.dk
Unsupported protocol version: SSH-1.5-1.2.26

If I try other methods of logging in to aegir.miba.auc.dk (telnet,
rlogin, etc.) I have no difficulties but can't get the $DISPLAY
environment variable so that I can run the xterm.

Anybody have any advice they could provide?

Thank you!

Gregg