On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Gregg wrote:

> Not having ssh installed, I went to freshmeat.net and found ssh which I
> installed without drama. I then tried to ssh to the computer...
>
> greggs@linuxbox# ssh aegir.miba.auc.dk
> warning: Executing /usr/local/bin/ssh1 for ssh1 compatibility.
> Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed

Which version of SSH did you install?

SSH2 and SSH1 are not compatible - they are seperate executables, and if
you want SSH1 compatibility, you have to install BOTH of them.

You need a compiled version of SSH1 in /usr/local/bin for this to work.
This directory location is configurable - it's in the SSH docs somewhere.

DaZZa