On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 12:12:11PM +1100, Crossfire wrote:
> Communication "Standards" should never dictate that you *must* run on
> a certain OS to speak it.  [I'm sure there are some viable examples of
> the contrary, I just can't think of any right now.]

How about every single one of the internet RFC's?  You can't
_make_ an internet standard until you have two independent
interoperating implementations.

It's only the PC era of coding that has allowed a particular
program implementation to define the communication and storage
format by fiat.

> We should have a standard, published communications standard for these
> things - and all should be able to speak it.

Absolutely.  If there isn't an RFC that describes it, we
shouldn't have to deal with it :-)

--
Andrew